Za’atar flatbread is a Middle Eastern flatbread topped with olive oil and a blend of herbs and spices. Also known as manoushe, it is typically a Lebanese street food, and easy to make from scratch with just a few ingredients.
How do you eat Manoushe?
Za’atar flatbread, or manoushe, can be eaten at any time of day or night. Top it with an egg for breakfast or serve as part of a meze spread for lunch. Got the nibbles? Make up a batch for an afternoon snack, or plan it as an appetizer before dinner with drinks. This herb-topped flatbread is delicious alongside sliced cucumbers and your favorite olives. My favorite way to eat it is to top it with chopped tomatoes, feta or goat cheese, parsley, mint, and pickles. It’s also terrific served with labne or hummus for dipping.
How to Make Za’atar Flatbread
The great thing about this Lebanese street food is that it’s so easy to make. All you need is some flour, yeast, olive oil, za’atar spice blend, and a couple of hours. Outlined in the recipe below is a simple dough recipe, but you could use pre made store-bought pizza dough as well. Or in a pinch, use store-bought pita instead, but this would give your more of a pita chip situation, which ARE great for Middle Eastern nachos! All this to say, if you have the time to make the dough it’s totally worth it.
For the Dough
- 1 cup water (lukewarm)
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
For the Topping
- 1/4 cup Za'atar Spice Blend
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
For the Dough
- In a bowl (or the bowl of a large stand mixer) add yeast to water along with the sugar and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Add the olive oil, flour, and salt. Using the dough hook attachment (or a wooden spoon if you're mixing by hand), mix ingredients until well combined. Run the mixer on a low to medium speed (or knead by hand) for 10 minutes, or until dough is no longer sticky. Cover with a damp towel and let sit in a warm place for 1-1.5 hours, or until doubled in size.
Make the Topping
- Combine the za'atar spice blend and olive oil in a bowl.
To Assemble Flatbreads
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F. If you have a pizza stone, put it in the oven. If not, line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Once the dough has risen, divide into six equal pieces. Flatten slightly and let rest for another 10 minutes or so, covering with the damp towel.
- To make a flatbread, roll out with a rolling pin or your hands. You can choose to make a circular or oval shape. The thinner you roll them, the more cracker-like the baked flatbreads will be. Spread about 1 1/2 Tablespoons of olive oil/za'atar mix onto flatbread, leaving a border around the edges.
- Bake until golden brown around the edges. Serve with labne for dipping.