Crispy Skin Salmon Recipe with Za’atar Spice Blend
This crispy skin salmon recipe with za’atar spice blend combines fresh wild caught salmon with herbs and spices for a delectable yet simple weeknight meal.
Spices for Salmon
There are many spices and seasonings that go well with salmon. Salmon’s high fat content and strong flavors means it holds up well to strong seasonings, including many essential Turkish spices. Sumac, one of the key ingredients in za’atar spice blend, is from a tart tasting berry that is dried and preserved in salt. The oregano in the za’atar adds an herby and earthy flavor, and the sesame seeds round everything with nuttiness.The coriander (seeds from the cilantro plant) included in the recipe below provide a citrus-y flavor.
How to Get That Crispy Salmon Skin
If you’re lucky enough to find salmon fillets with the skin still attached, be sure to crisp them up! Salmon skin is full of flavor and contains the highest concentration of Omega-3 fatty acids on the fish. The key to creating a crispy skin is pre-heating the pan before you add the salmon. It’s just a simple step, but can be applied to so many dishes. I use a cast iron skillet, as it goes from stove-top to oven and is non-stick, without any questionable chemical coatings.
How to Use Spice Blends
Spice blends are a quick way to add tons of flavor for an easy dinner. Za’atar spice blend is a traditional Middle Eastern spice blend made up of oregano, toasted sesame seeds, sumac, and salt. I offer my unique za’atar blend to purchase here, as well as through my spice subscription membership. Spice Club members receive discounts on spice blends when included with their quarterly subscription delivery.
Crispy Skin Salmon Recipe Serving Suggestions
Serve this crispy skin salmon with za’atar spice blend alongside a simple green salad using the maple-sherry vinaigrette below, and an quick delectable dinner is right at your fingertips.
Crispy Skin Salmon with Za’atar Spice Blend
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Za'atar Spice Blend
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 1/2 pounds skin-on salmon fillet, cut into 4 pieces
Maple Sherry Vinaigrette (optional)
- 2 lemons
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Pull out salmon from refrigerator 30 minutes before you plan on cooking it.
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil with za-atar spice blend and coriander. Rub this on the salmon flesh.
- Preheat a 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. When you see white wisps of smoke in the pan, place salmon in, skin side down. Cook about 4 minutes, until skin is browning, and salmon is no longer sticking.
- Slide entire pan into oven, and cook for 4-5 more minutes, depending upon the thickness of the salmon fillet. Remove from the pan immediately and serve.
Maple Sherry Vinaigrette
- Juice lemons for about 1/2 cup lemon juice. Combine with remaining ingredients and whisk well to incorporate. Drizzle over your favorite salad greens.